Bulldogs bring bite to Bunbury derby

Keren StewartSouth Western Times
Panthers shooter Sophie Bell sets off after Asha Bygraves last season.
Camera IconPanthers shooter Sophie Bell sets off after Asha Bygraves last season.

Several sides recorded statement victories across round one of the South West Football Netball League at the South West Sports Centre last Sunday.

Derbies always bring out the best between Bunbury and South Bunbury and this match was no different, with the Bulldogs prevailing, 60-35.

It was a nervous start for both teams, with wayward passes and some missed goals at either end.

However, after a few minutes, both teams settled and found their rhythm.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


While Tigers shooters Teagan Bulman and Gemma Chapman possessed exceptional accuracy, they were unable to capitalise on all opportunities.

Both teams had a reshuffle to start the second quarter, with Molly Creasey and Mickashia Watts coming off the interchange bench to make their debuts.

While South Bunbury continued to challenge the Bulldogs, they were unable to trim the margin and trailed by seven at half-time. Both teams started the second half with some fresh legs, with Bulldogs talent Cass Shine having a commanding on-court presence.

Both Amy Hammond and Shaylee Green maintained the pressure on the South Bunbury shooters and restricted them to nine goals for the quarter.

The final term opened with more changes from both sides. Despite the big deficit, the Tigers shooters continued to work hard and displayed great court sense.

Busselton and Augusta-Margaret River fought out a thrilling 45-all draw, after the Magpies came from nine goals down at half-time.

In a scrappy start by the reigning premiers, the Hawks jumped out to 17-9 first-quarter lead.

A heap of turnovers gifted extra possessions to the Hawks, who capitalised through the accuracy of shooter Jessi Whitehead.

A reshuffle in the young Magpies line-up resulted in some calmness among the team, although they were given plenty to think about by the energetic Hawks.

Down 26-17 at the long break, Maia Bratton and Ashlee Ritson were introduced into the game and this reaped instant dividends.

The Magpies trimmed the margin to six goals heading into the final quarter and in the closing stages, looked to be in a prime position to secure an unlikely victory.

Despite a tense final few minutes, the Magpies ran out of time to steal the win, although they will take plenty of confidence from their second half.

In the final game of the round, Carey Park defeated Harvey Bulls, 95-16. An early injury in the first quarter to Bulls player Tandalee Stack resulted in the Bulls playing with six players for the remainder of the match against a very strong opposition.

For Carey Park, Renae Cashell and Vaezarn Bishop formed a formidable defence and cut off several promising attacking raids by the visitors.

In attack, the Panthers were well served by Sophie Bell and Kennedy Tupaea, who shot with great accuracy.

For the Bulls, Courtney Collard and Jenna Collard tried hard.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails