Bunbury businesses set to benefit from waterfront project
Four Bunbury-based businesses will be among the South West subcontractors set to benefit from the latest stage of the city’s waterfront revamp.
During his visit to Bunbury on Friday, Premier Mark McGowan announced the $5.8 million contract to complete the Jetty Road causeway upgrades as part of the Transforming Bunbury’s Waterfront project.
Densford Civil successfully tendered for the second stage of the upgrade and five South West subcontractors will be used in the construction, according to Mr McGowan.
The upgrades will include reconstruction of the road, increased parking with 164 bays, shared paths and landscaping, the construction of a multi-purpose building incorporating public toilets, and improvements to utility services in the area.
It comes after $3.5 million of work was completed earlier this year when 24,000 tonnes of rock was placed to improve protection during storms.
A further $3 million has been spent on investigations, design and project management.
Mr McGowan said he was pleased the multi-million-dollar contract had been awarded to a local company.
“The involvement of local contractors in the delivery of phase two work will stimulate the building and construction industry in Bunbury and across the broader South West and create local job opportunities,” he said.
“When complete the upgrade will encourage more tourists to visit Bunbury and help stimulate the growth of local industries.”
Bunbury MLA Don Punch said he was proud to see the major project forging ahead.
“Living in Bunbury, it is exciting to see the way our city continues to transform with locals and visitors alike making the most of the Koombana foreshore and revamped Dolphin Discovery Centre,” he said.
“Ensuring this contract results in new work for local companies means more opportunities for local jobs and will help stimulate the Bunbury economy.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails