Bunbury gets greater access to sewerage
Construction of a $3.3 million infill sewerage project for South Bunbury began on Tuesday in an effort to connect more housing to the central wastewater system and reduce leach drain run-off into the environment.
Water Minister Mia Davies said residential lots bounded by Joel Crescent in the north, Parry Street in the east, Mangles Street in the south and Birch Street in the west would receive infill sewerage.
She said 172 residential lots were expected to be connected by July.
Bunbury-based contractor Dig Deep Contracting is in charge of the project that will include 5km of wastewater pipeline and a new pumping station.
“The work in South Bunbury is part of the Liberal-National Government's Statewide Infill Sewerage Program, which has invested an additional $50 million since 2015 to connect properties to the central wastewater system,” Ms Davies said.
“Infill sewerage eliminates the need for septic tanks and leach drains, and provides social and environmental benefits for the community.”
“The Water Corporation will work closely with local residents to minimise construction impacts and traffic management will be in place.”
She said $11.2 million program of works was completed in July last year which connected 432 properties to infill sewerage.
More than 93,000 households in Western Australia have gained access to the central wastewater system thanks to the State Government’s Infill Sewerage Program.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails