Bunbury police target thieves after increase in crime
Police have credited a major operation targeting small groups of alleged thieves in the South West for a drop in crimes this month.
A total of 11 people from Withers, Carey Park, Eaton, Australind, Bunbury and East Bunbury have been charged with a string of offences as a result of Operation Taurine.
The alleged offenders both male and female range between 16 and 35 years of age and have been charged with more than 100 offences, including aggravated burglary and stealing motor vehicles.
Police said an increase in offending was identified in Bunbury last month, which prompted Operation Triple Shot on July 17.
“Police identified offenders were allegedly operating in small groups, targeting both commercial and residential properties in both suburban and semi-rural areas,” a police spokeswoman said.
“Offenders were then allegedly stealing vehicles and using them to commit burglaries and steal further vehicles, cash and property.
“A number of people were identified and Operation Taurine was initiated, together with South West detectives and the Bunbury inquiry team.
“Their aim was to reactively investigate offences and apprehend the offenders.”
Police claim as a result of the successful operations burglary offences are down 32 per cent between August 1 and 15 compared to the same time last month.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails