Colts defeat Eaton to take back-to-back premierships

George Goodwin and Justin FrisSouth Western Times
Joe Barningham puts his body on the line for Colts.
Camera IconJoe Barningham puts his body on the line for Colts. Credit: Justin Fris

Colts secured back-to-back Bunbury and Districts Cricket Association premierships, following Sunday’s five-wicket win over Eaton at the Bunbury Recreation Ground.

Colts produced 6-210 and 5-222 across the two day grand final and dismissed the visitors for 188 and 172.

The home side finished the first day with a slender lead of 22, which left the second day to the histrionics of grand final cricket.

A vociferous crowd cheered their teams on throughout the day, before a lower order collapse by the Beavers against disciplined Colts spin bowling ensured the flag would stay with the reigning premiers.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Day One

Colts captain Cruize Ciallella won the toss and surprised punters with his decision to bat on a pitch with a wet patch, after some sprinkler water had seeped under the covers.

The hosts weathered the storm early against the ultra economical Beavers attack of Steve Barron and Clayton Caltsounis, despite Jaysen Miguel falling early.

With last season’s hero Jayden Goodwin (36), Tim Stewart (33) and top scorer Murray Goodwin (64 not out) backed up by lower order stalwarts Blaze Rosinski and Joe Barningham, the Beavers had a sizeable target to negotiate.

Despite toiling away against an imposing total, it was a phenomenal effort from Beavers captain Clint Hewson, who was declared match fit despite tearing his meniscus a week earlier in the preliminary final.

After completing the catch to remove Miguel, Hewson (3-32, three maidens off 10 overs) was inspirational in lifting his side when they needed it.

Beavers openers Corey Fitt and Dan Seaman ripped into the Jake Boyle-Josh Topliss pace attack to record 41 runs off the opening six overs, before a strapping Topliss (4-40 off 8.5 overs) removed the Eaton openers off successive overs.

Jayden Goodwin secured the valuable wicket of Clint Marrow for 28, courtesy of a catch by his father Murray – before Colts skipper Ciallella slipped into the middle order and ensured his side would start the second day with a handy advantage.

Day Two

Colts struggled early against the accurate Beavers bowling attack, sitting at 2-53 in the 25th over.

But with wickets in hand, Murray Goodwin dug in to help Jaysen Miguel post a third wicket partnership of 83 – before Miguel fell for 57 off 137 balls.

The home side’s lead escalated in the closing stages, with gritty batsmen Riley Miguel smashing 52 not out off just 33 deliveries – while Ciallella’s 35 off 23 balls propelled Colts to 5-222.

Chasing 245 for victory, the visitors made a positive start, reaching 1-47 off eight overs.

However sensing they needed to change things up, Ciallella played his trump card – turning to his spinners Joe Barningham and Jayden Goodwin to put the brakes on the Beavers’ progression.

And it worked to perfection.

For the second time in the match, Jayden Goodwin removed Marrow, who was caught on the square leg boundary by Tyler King.

At 6-155 with 10 overs remaining, the Beavers were still a chance, before a flurry of Ciallella wickets ended their dream in the 42nd over.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails