Home

Council works staff move into multi-million dollar facility

Kate FieldingSouth Western Times
City of Bunbury facilities manager Shawn Lombard and engineering manager Shaun Millen at the new works depot.
Camera IconCity of Bunbury facilities manager Shawn Lombard and engineering manager Shaun Millen at the new works depot. Credit: Jon Gellweiler / South Western Times

City of Bunbury works and services staff have moved into an impressive new purpose-built depot in Picton.

The multi-million dollar depot replaces Bunbury City Council’s 50-year-old Carey Park facility and combines the entire team under the one roof.

The waste services team has been operating from a council-owned site in Halifax and some staff have been working from the administration building in the CBD.

A total of 104 council staff will now be based at the Sutherland Way facility.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

Mayor Gary Brennan said a significant investment of $10 million had been made by the council to provide the state-of-the-art facility to its officers.

“We need to provide the best facilities for our employees to ensure they can carry out their jobs effectively and efficiently,” Mr Brennan said.

“It will also provide a more customer-friendly experience for community members who may need to visit the site.

Construction of the depot began in August last year and was carried out by local company Civilcon.

The move will allow for the Carey Park site on Nutsyia Avenue to be rezoned for housing, which is under way as part of the Racecourses Local Area Plan.

The council has also started the process to dispose of a portion of the waste site on McCombe Road.

There are now revised hours for the disposal of e-waste and hazardous waste at the McCombe Road Waste depot with the new hours 10.30am to 2.30pm Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails