Delight as Capel upgrade proceeds
After years of funding doubts, construction on the $2.7 million third stage of the Capel Civil Precinct will start next month to revitalise Earl Scott Reserve into a community hub.
The site, including a playground and skatepark, will be closed to the public for at least six months after work begins on February 2.
Capel Shire Council chief executive officer Paul Sheedy is excited the work is getting under way on what will be a “fantastic asset to the Capel townsite”.
“It is exciting to be undertaking the Civil Precinct Stage 3,” he said.
“After disappointment and some doubt in the last couple of years with State and Federal funding as to whether we would be able to complete it, it has now all come to fruition – it’s fantastic,” he said.
Perkins (WA) Pty Ltd was awarded the tender for the third stage by the council at its December meeting.
The stage will include an all-abilities playground and nature play space, shelters, barbecues, seating and landscaping.
A formal amphitheatre, town square precinct and youth recreation space, including a basketball half court, will also be constructed and a skateable link between the existing skatepark and Forrest Road will be created.
Mr Sheedy said the project would bring vibrancy to the town, attract visitors and allow more events to take place in the shire.
“It’s going to be an ideal spot for people travelling from Perth to Margaret River and return,” he said.
“But I think the other important thing is that the amphitheatre and the all-abilities playground is going to be a fantastic asset for the local community who really haven’t had a really first class play area.”
The new amenity building for the precinct was completed earlier this month and will remain open to the public during construction.
The project was funded by the Australian Government Building Better Regions Fund, Royalties for Regions, Lotterywest, Capel Shire Council and the Department of Communities.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails