Duo admit Usher assault over family feud

Kate FieldingSouth Western Times
Two men have been sentenced over a brutal daylight attack in Usher.
Camera IconTwo men have been sentenced over a brutal daylight attack in Usher. Credit: Graphic / South Western Times

A trial surrounding a brutal daylight attack on a man who was walking his dog in Usher has been avoided after two men admitted to assaulting the man over an on-going family dispute.

Navarone Maxwell Hill, 30, of Usher, and Waylon Mark Hill, 30, of Withers, were set to stand trial in Bunbury District Court this week, but instead pleaded guilty to lesser charges over the December 28, 2017 attack.

The men attacked their 25-year-old victim after driving past him. Waylon Hill got out of the car and ran at the man and Navarone Hill followed with a baseball bat.

The court was told on Tuesday that words such as “you’re f..... up now, we’re killing you” were screamed at the man.

The man was punched and dragged along the ground resulting in injuries to his knees, legs and shoulders.

LISTEN to the new podcast Court in the Act

Inside the courtroom with Tim Clarke.

Find out more

The German shepherd pet dog lost an eye, allegedly in the brutal attack, but Navarone Hill is yet to plea to a charge of ill treatment of an animal over the incident.

Navarone Hill pleaded guilty to common assault — downgraded from a charge of assault occasioning bodily harm — and being armed in a way that may cause fear over the incident.

Waylon Hill pleaded guilty to common assault, downgraded from assault occasioning bodily harm, and threatening to harm — a charge downgraded from one of threatening to kill.

Navarone Hill appeared in court via video link from Bunbury Regional Prison after he was sentenced to five years and two months behind bars in September last year over a drug-fuelled crash which killed a Bunbury father.

Waylon Hill appeared in person after being released to bail over the incident.

State prosecutor Jarrad Goold argued that the assault was a continuation of the two men resorting to violence after they were involved in two similar incidents in 2006 and 2010.

Judge Michael Bowden said the community expected the court to provide protection of people going about their “lawful” business and were entitled to walk the streets during the day without fear.

Taking into account Waylon Hill’s full-time employment and family support, Judge Bowden handed down a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months.

Judge Bowden said Navarone Hill’s possession of a baseball bat in the assault was “so serious” that further jail time was appropriate.

He sentenced Navarone Hill to three months cumulative and three months concurrent on top of the sentence he is already serving.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails