Fuel service issue forces the cancellation of a flight from Busselton

Despite ambitions to take international flights one day, an interstate flight leaving Busselton failed to get off the tarmac last week following issues with the airport’s fuel services.
A Busselton to Sydney Jetstar flight had to be cancelled on Thursday February 12 after an issue with the airport’s fuel truck left the plane unable to be refuelled.
Passengers who headed south to avoid the city were then offered transport to Perth by bus before flying out of the State’s major airport on a same-day flight with Qantas.
A spokesperson from Jetstar thanked affected customers for their patience and understanding.
“We know disruptions are frustrating and our teams do everything they can to get customers on their way on time and most importantly, safely,” they said.
The airports aviation fuel supplier Air BP said the refuelling vehicle for the flight had experienced an auto electrical fault which caused the cancellation.
“The vehicle has been taken back to Perth for repairs, and we have brought in a replacement vehicle to Busselton,” they said.
“We are in constant communication with the airline to ensure minimal disruption to operations. “
Preston Beach resident John McSwain was on the flight he said was set to depart from Busselton at about 2.30pm but soon found himself and his fellow passengers going nowhere quickly.
“A couple of times the captain came on and said they’re having a few technical problems with the (refuelling) truck,” he said.
When the flight was officially cancelled, Mr McSwain said passengers were given a range of alternative options by staff, including the Perth flight.
He said sometime after 5pm, those wanting to still catch a flight were taken to Perth.
“Then there was about another four-hour wait before we could get on the plane and head off over east,” Mr McSwain said.
While some passengers weren’t thrilled with the situation, Mr McSwain said it was one many, himself included, accepted for what it was.
“There was a few people on the bus singing and joking and making light of it and there was a few others that weren’t very happy,” he said.
When the Sydney flights first touched down in Busselton two years ago, City of Busselton mayor Phill Cronin said he had ambitions the airport would one day welcome international passengers from countries such as Singapore.
Speaking to the Times, Mr Cronin said the city still had its sights still set on expanding the airport’s services with strong demand for their interstate flights.
“The city continues to work closely with the South West Development Commission and is exploring alternative funding options and private investment opportunities to expand capacity and services at the airport,” he said.
“International services are still part of the city’s aspirations for the airport.”
Vasse MLA Libby Mettam said she was disappointed in the State Government’s lack of action towards the airport.
“It is disappointing that the WA Labor Government have undermined this project from the offset and dragged their feet to fully commit to adequate funds for the terminal expansion,” she said.
“The terminal is not fit for purpose and unable to service two aircrafts simultaneously with considerable impact on functionality and amenity for airport users.
“A new terminal would unlock the potential for additional flights and air routes and be an economic driver for the region.”
A State Government spokesperson said the Cook Government was committed to providing a range of investments and initiatives to promote economic prosperity across regional WA, including the South West.
“The WA Government has invested more than $47 million to upgrade the Busselton Margaret River Airport to date,” they said.
“The South West Development Commission continues to support the City of Busselton in its forward planning for the airport and to investigate options for further investment, including Commonwealth and private sector investment.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails
