Housing plan expected to win approval

Kate FieldingSouth Western Times
The proposed draft structure plan for a residential development in College Grove includes up to 30 residential lots.
Camera IconThe proposed draft structure plan for a residential development in College Grove includes up to 30 residential lots. Credit: Graphic / South Western Times

A residential development in College Grove that has attracted community concern is expected to get the green light tonight.

Bunbury City Council will be recommended to approve the plans for a 30-home development, which developers re-worked following a massive community consultation process.

The proposed draft structure plan includes up to 30 residential lots, including 10 at low density and the rest at medium density.

Developers went back to the drawing board and worked with nearby residents following concerns over increased traffic and the protection of vegetation.

The plans attracted a big crowd to the council’s briefing session last week when Mayor Gary Brennan agreed to meet with residents ahead of tonight’s decision.

Mr Brennan met with the residents on Saturday.

He told the Bunbury Herald that he could not see “any real opposition” to the plans from the council and said the development was a “very high standard”.

“If the developer wanted to go ahead today, they could construct 38 units there – what they’re proposing is 30,” Mr Brennan said.

“They’re very high standard buildings and that was another concern that was raised way back when another group wanted to build housing for first home buyers.

“There was real concern that was going to downgrade the value of properties in College Grove.

“I believe, from what I’ve seen, it will actually meet or slightly enhance the standard of accommodation in College Grove, so I don’t see a reason why we should reject it.”

Plans for infill development in the suburb prompted the formation of a College Grove Action Group.

The group says it is not against the site being developed, but rather the high density zoning of the development.

It is calling for the development to be reduced to 20 homes to fit in with the existing “quiet, low density neighbourhood”.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails