Limestone extraction to go ahead in Stratham

Chloerissa EadieSouth Western Times

A licence for Piacentini and Sons to extract limestone in Stratham was approved by Capel Shire Council on Wednesday night, despite more than 20 submissions from concerned residents.

Residents were concerned about the possibility of dust and noise the operation would create in the area.

It is expected that up to 60,000cu m of Limestone will be extracted from Lot 2 Minninup Road, Stratham, for five weeks over a 12-month period.

Richard Denby from Piacentini and Sons addressed the council on Wednesday night and said half the extracted limestone would be used for roads and sold locally to keep the cost of limestone down.

He said if there were any noise concerns they would stop the work, while all operations would be closely monitored.

Capel Shire Council engineering and development services executive manager Jason Gick said noise assessments had been carried out in the area and if the noise increased or there were concerns from residents in the area the licence could be revoked.

Council chief executive officer Paul Sheedy said the organisation had been extracting sand in the area for at least six years without any concerns or complaints.

“We will monitor the dust to make sure it’s not leaving the site, as well as monitoring the noise and they have been very good operators so far,” he said.

Cr Siddhartha Baxi said they were a responsible and reputable organisation and believed that they would carry out the operations in accordance with the licence.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails