Magpies take close win over Bulls

Headshot of Michael Philipps
Michael PhilippsSouth Western Times
Busselton captain Aidan Fraser kicked five goals in the match against the Harvey Bulls on Saturday night.
Camera IconBusselton captain Aidan Fraser kicked five goals in the match against the Harvey Bulls on Saturday night. Credit: South Western Times, Mitchell Woodcock

The Busselton Magpies managed a thrilling win over Harvey Bulls at Sir Stewart Bovell Park on Saturday to claim victory 12.19 (91) to 12.9 (81) on Saturday night.

Busselton started the match in strong fashion kicking the first two goals before the Bulls’ Ryan Nye kicked the first for his side.

Aidan Fraser was important early for the Magpies with three goals in the first quarter.

However, the Bulls were able to charge their way back into the game in the second quarter after kicking five goals to three.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Bulls’ co-captain Brendon Jones was impressive in the second with two important goals as his side hit the lead midway through the quarter.

However, Busselton managed to regain the lead after Jed Kemp finished the term with two more goals for Busselton.

Fraser continued his strong start to the season after he kicked his fourth goal in the third quarter but the Bulls continued to put on the pressure.

A shot on goal from the Bulls after the siren had the teams level at three-quarter time.

Two quick goals in the final quarter saw the Bulls jump into an early lead.

However, Busselton were able to claw their way back into the match in a frantic final five minutes.

A soccer attempt from Kemp, and his fifth goal of the match, put Busselton in front and they were able to lock the ball in their forward half to claim the victory.

Busselton coach Steve Lester said he was pleased with the result.

“I was really proud of the boys in the way they fought back especially in the second quarter when they were coming hard at us,” he said.

“That shows the real maturity of the group, last year we probably would have lost that game by three goals.

“Unfortunately Brody Plozza broke his finger so he is probably going to miss a good chunk of footy.”

Harvey Bulls coach Paul Fimmano said he was disappointed with his team’s effort.

“We just need to keep working until we get it right,” he said.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails