Man dead, female officer injured

Kate FieldingSouth Western Times
A horror 24 hours in Bunbury’s CBD sees one man dead and a female police officer injured in two separate alleged assaults.
Camera IconA horror 24 hours in Bunbury’s CBD sees one man dead and a female police officer injured in two separate alleged assaults. Credit: South Western Times

A female police officer is off duty after an alleged attack in which the constable was kicked in the head in a sickening incident outside a Bunbury pub at the weekend.

It came less than 24 hours after an alleged fatal brawl on Victoria Street in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Bunbury acting officer-in-charge Sen. Sgt Robbie Fay told the South Western Times, police responded to a disturbance between two men outside the Burlington Hotel about 12.30am Sunday before one of the alleged attackers turned on police.

It is alleged police tried to arrest an 18-year-old man before he “thrashed” his legs out, kicking the female officer in the head twice then holding her in a scissor lock with his legs and flipping her over.

The alleged manoeuvre caused the constable to hit her head on the pavement, causing a head injury and broken teeth, along with a fractured wrist.

Extra police arrived on the scene and arrested the man.

WA Police Union president Harry Arnott has described the alleged incident as a “vile and cowardly attack by a gutless perpetrator”.

“The community will not stand for this behaviour,” Mr Arnott said.

“Police officers and communities expect the courts throw the book at the criminal involved and a significant penalty imposed.

“Any person who kicks a police officer in the head does not deserve to be on the streets.”

The 18-year-old Bunbury man has been charged with assaulting a police officer and disorderly conduct. He was released on bail and is due to face court next month.

The alleged incident underscored a horror weekend in the CBD after 56-year-old Danny Talbot received fatal injuries in an alleged brawl a night earlier.

Mr Talbot was rushed to Royal Perth Hospital where he was put on life support following the alleged fight about 2am Saturday, but he never recovered.

Four men have been charged with grievous bodily harm over that alleged incident, but police prosecutors told Bunbury Magistrates Court on Monday that those charges were being reviewed.

Bunbury Alcohol Accord chairwoman Sarah Upton said the accord – which includes police, licensed premises and State Government representatives – was aware of the alleged incidents and was helping police.

“These issues will be discussed by accord members at the next meeting to determine if there are any lessons learnt from the incidents and any issues the city can address,” Ms Upton said.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails