Most marroners getting it right
Several offenders were caught on the opening weekend of marron season but authorities are happy with the behaviour of most fishers.
The annual four-week season began on Sunday with popular areas being “heavily fished” despite the turnout being lower than previous years.
Operation Capulin, a joint effort between police, Department of Fisheries and Water Corporation, nabbed 10 people for out-of-season offences before Sunday.
Two people were charged with providing false names and addresses and another two for allegedly obstructing Fisheries officers.
Supervising fisheries and marine officer for Bunbury, Graeme Hall said 15 more infringement notices would be issued for various offences, including undersize marron and illegal fishing gear.
Mr Hall also said traps had been an “ongoing problem” for authorities.
Despite the opening weekend having lower than usual participation rates, particularly at popular areas such as Wellington and Harvey dams, Mr Hall expects that to change.
“This is most likely due to the timing of the starting day, midday on a Sunday,” he said.
“It may not have allowed enough opportunity for all of the usual metro and other regional fishers, who travel to the South West, to be able to fish through the night.
“The expectation is that the coming weekends may see a greater number of fishers travelling, with a greater spread of fishing effort over the four weeks.
“Some infringements are to be issued for opening day, however, the vast majority of marroners chose to fish responsibly.
“It was pleasing to see the amount of young children out with their families learning about the sustainable way to take marron.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails