People urged to support local cafes, restaurants open for takeaway

Shannon VerhagenSouth Western Times
Corners on the Bay manager Kita Mohetuki hopes people will still support local cafes and restaurants, now that they are takeaway only amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Camera IconCorners on the Bay manager Kita Mohetuki hopes people will still support local cafes and restaurants, now that they are takeaway only amid the coronavirus pandemic. Credit: Shannon Verhagen

Yesterday marked one of the most heart-breaking days in Bunbury hospitality industry’s history.

Publicans, cafe owners and restaurant managers have been left to pick up the pieces after the Federal Government enforced closures to a wide range of venues from midday yesterday in an effort to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Those that have been able to stay open —including restaurants and cafes who are able to operate through a takeaway service — are urging the community to support local.

Corners on the Bay manager Kita Mohetuki hopes people will still support local cafes and restaurants, now that they are takeaway only amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Camera IconCorners on the Bay manager Kita Mohetuki hopes people will still support local cafes and restaurants, now that they are takeaway only amid the coronavirus pandemic. Credit: Shannon Verhagen

Corners on the Bay and Corners on King manager Kita Mohetuki said she was “shocked” and “worried” when the announcement was made on Sunday, and they were working hard to spread shifts evenly between their 30 employees.

“We’re trying the best we can,” she said.

She said the local community had already rallied to support them and their fellow cafes through the crisis.

The locals this (Monday) morning were amazing, some were going into Dome, buying things from there and then also coming here and buying stuff from here.

Kita Mohetuki

“At the moment we’ve got our whole menu takeaway and as days go by, depending on what happens next we might start altering the menu. It’s a waiting game really.”

Both Corners cafes will now operate as takeaway only.

Rose Hotel general manager Ale Cunsolo hopes people support local business during this difficult time.Picture: Shannon Verhagen
Camera IconRose Hotel general manager Ale Cunsolo hopes people support local business during this difficult time.Picture: Shannon Verhagen Credit: Shannon Verhagen

Operations at the Rose Hotel have also changed, with a delivery service for both the kitchen and bottle shop. The motel will also continue to operate.

“It’s not about making money, it’s about keeping our staff employed so they can put food on their tables,” owner Dave Allan said.

In these times it’s about supporting local, not just us but everyone. We’re not alone, there’s a lot of people in the same position. Let’s get through this as a community.

Dave Allan

Unfortunately, the restrictions have forced the Prince of Wales Hotel to close its doors indefinitely.

Owner Mitch Thorn said the situation was “surreal,” and had dealt them a big financial blow.

“It would’ve been nice to have a bit of notice, maybe a week so we could prepare,” he said. “I’m probably throwing away $3000 worth of food today and I’ve got 20 different kegs tapped which I can’t return.”

It is unsure how long the restrictions will last, but Mr Thorn said the day they were allowed to open again, they would, and hopefully all staff could return to work.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails