Redbacks skipper saves finals chances

Mitchell Woodcock and George GoodwinSouth Western Times
Marist fast bowler Ben Shipley took two wickets against Leschenault on Saturday.
Camera IconMarist fast bowler Ben Shipley took two wickets against Leschenault on Saturday. Credit: Jon Gellweiler / South Western Times

A century from captain Jono Whitney helped Hay Park defeat Collie by 55-runs and grab their first win of the Twenty20 championship at Hay Park on Saturday.

The Redbacks needed a victory in the round four game to keep their finals hopes alive and a great knock of 115 from 64 balls from Whitney led last year's grand finalists to a competitive 3/175.

The home side won the toss and elected to bat, but looked in trouble early with Charlie Home (one run) and Ashley Sbizzirri (two runs) both out early in the innings.

Whitney then partnered with Graham Yates (41 runs) for a big match-winning partnership.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


The former England-based cricketer belted seven sixes and 14 fours in the season's first top grade ton.

Collie struggled in most of their run chase, finishing on 8/120 off their 20 overs, as Brayden Kent top scored with 25 runs.

Home was the destroyer with the ball, taking 4-33 off four overs, including a hat-trick to take out most of Collie’s top order.

Earlier in the day Hay Park were easily defeated by Marist, who claimed two wins on the day.

The Blues were asked to bowl by the Redbacks and had great success, holding Hay Park to 5/97 off their 20 overs.

Home did his best for the home side, top scoring with 47 off 45 balls, but had few partners as the Blues bowled with accuracy.

Jack Wilson (2-14 off four overs) was the best of the bowlers, while Allan Utterson and Brayden Clarke also bowled well.

Marist chased the total with ease thanks to young Englishman Max Bryant (53 not out) and strong opener Corey Fitt (34) leading them to a nine-wicket win.

The Blues backed this up in the afternoon, defeating Leschenault by seven wickets at Forrest Park.

The Green Caps won the toss and elected to bat, but once again the Blues bowled well, holding their opposition to 8/99 off 20 overs.

Fitt (3-18) was the best of the bowlers, while Ben Shipley and Clarke also took two wickets.

Bryant (37) and Fitt (25) once again set the foundation for the Blues at the top of the order before captain Reece O'Connell (20 not out) led Marist home in the 17th over.

Colts kept their undefeated season alive with a 29-run win over Dalyellup Beach at the Recreation Ground.

Jayden Goodwin (40) and Kevin Banwell (41) led the home side to 6/135 off their 20 overs, as Dalyellup struggled to contain the opposition batsmen.

A great team bowling performance from Colts led Dalyellup to be bowled out for 106 in the 20th over, with Connor Ipsen, Jake Boyle and Ethan Kelly all taking two wickets.

Dalyellup opener Scott Harber almost single-handily changed his side's luck with an unbeaten knock of 115 to lead his team to a 52-run win over Eaton at Dalyellup College.

Harber opened the batting and faced 70 balls in his unbeaten knock, getting the team to 4/171 off their 20 overs.

Adam Bilston took four wickets for the home side, who finished their 20 overs at 9/119, with Clint Hewson (37 off 51 balls) the only batsman passing 20 runs for the Beavers.

Eaton are still in contention for finals though after they defeated Collie by 10 wickets at the Eaton Recreation Ground.

Collie won the toss and elected to bat, but were in trouble early, losing their first five wickets for 51 runs.

A knock of 53 from captain Greg Tomasini helped Collie to 7/123 from their 20 overs, but it was never enough. The returning Don Seaman blasted an unbeaten 64 from 31 balls to lead Eaton to the win in the 10th over.

Seaman hit six sixes, while opening partner James Hillery finished just short of a half century with an unbeaten 48.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails