SW fully connected to NBN by end of year
The South West will be fully connected to high-speed broadband by the end of the year, according to National Broadband Network officials.
Capel was the latest town to be connected, with more than 1500 residential and businesses addressees given access on Friday.
Shire president Murray Scott said it was “great news” for Capel and Peppermint Grove residents who could now connect to the broadband.
Mr Scott said shire residents would “now have access to modern technology that will greatly assist businesses and make it easier for people to consider working from home”.
There are 80,000 premises in the South West which are “either able to connect or under construction”.
The Shire of Harvey remains on schedule to have full access by June.
NBN WA corporate affairs manager Ebony Aitken confirmed the South West’s rollout was expected to be complete by the end of this year.
Ms Aitken said there were 460,000 premises across the State that were connected to the network, as the rollout continued across Australia.
“Last week, we hit a huge milestone with the two millionth premises activated, nationally,” Ms Aitken said.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails