The Shire of Harvey urge community to avoid swimming in Brunswick Pool after detecting a deadly amoeba
The community is being urged to avoid swimming in Brunswick Pool after a deadly amoeba was detected in the water.
The Harvey Shire Council said a free-living amoeba, known as Naegleria fowleri, was detected on January 8.
The amoeba can cause a rare but fatal infection known as amoebic meningitis if inhaled through the nose.
The council said children are most at risk.
Harvey shire president Michelle Campbell said the amoeba was discovered during a routine water quality test.
“The risk of contracting amoebic meningitis is low, but our priority is community safety so we have already installed signage at the site to discourage visitors from swimming,” Cr Campbell said.
The council’s Environmental Health Services will continue to monitor the pool and remove signage when the area is deemed safe for swimming.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails