Waterfront festival a watershed moment for Bunbury
The long-awaited unveiling of Koombana Bay’s new footbridge will be the headline act in an impressive line-up of activities at a waterfront festival this weekend.
The Koombana Foreshore Festival will bring the bay to life following months of construction while also marking an important milestone in the Transforming Bunbury’s Waterfront Project.
A bay-side concert, beach games, food trucks, market stalls and free family-friendly activities will be among the celebrations to officially re-open the revitalised precinct.
Mayor Gary Brennan said the festival was an opportunity for the community to get together and enjoy all the elements of the precinct.
“I invite everyone to come down and take a look at this sensational development which has changed and improved the face of our stunning coastline,” Mr Brennan said.
“The completion of Koombana Foreshore is just the beginning.
“It is an exciting time for Bunbury, as this is set to become an iconic location and tourist destination for our city.
“The Koombana Foreshore precinct has so much to offer and is the perfect place to spend an afternoon with friends and family.”
The festival kicks off at 4pm on Saturday with the footbridge lights set to be switched on for the first time at 7pm when celebrations come to an end.
In conjunction with the festival the Dolphin Discovery Centre will be hosting a free entry Mocktails, Music and Mermaids event.
Highlights from the revitalisation project included:
• Construction of an inclusive playground;
• Amphitheatre and shaded areas including 11 new shade structures;
• Revamped kiosk and public amenities;
• Construction of 100 extra parking bays, taking the total to almost 400;
• A pedestrian promenade along the beach;
• Improved beach access, including disabled access;
• Extensive landscaped areas overlooking the beach;
• Improved traffic access, including left turn only from Anchorage Cove to Koombana Drive;
• Removal of the old train line.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails