
A school traffic warden was knocked over and had his hat and whistle stolen in a disgraceful attack outside Rossmoyne Primary School on Tuesday morning.
The 87-year-old volunteer had been commanding the crosswalk on Third Avenue, where the school is located, when he was pushed by a male stranger about 8.55am.
The man, known to the school students and teachers as Colin, fell to the ground and the attacker then stole his hat and whistle before fleeing in a vehicle, described as a black Toyota Prado.
Witnesses rushed to Colin’s aid and he was later treated by St John WA paramedics.
Local parents and teachers ended up filling in for their beloved traffic warden after school on Tuesday to and ensure students could still cross the street safely.
WA's biggest courts and crime stories to your inbox
Sign-up to our weekly newsletter for free
Sign up
Aisha Puchert, whose 7-year-old son Zach attends Rossmoyne Primary, was among those who quickly stepped up.
“Our kids all have Scorchers flags - they’re mad Scorchers cricket fans. I just thought it would be a bit of a helping hand for them to be seen crossing the road,” she said.
“At the previous school, near where we lived before, I fought hard to get a traffic warden for that school, and we did get one which was amazing. It’s such a great job that they do, and we’re so thankful that they’re here to help our kids cross the road.”

Ms Puchert said the incident had shaken the school community.
“It’s really terrible. We love Colin, he’s been here for years. It’s devastating that something like that could happen at all, especially here in Rossmoyne where we think it’s so safe and secure,” she said.
“Thinking something like this could happen here is just absolutely horrible. We don’t want to have to watch our kids with hawk eyes, but it’s not so nice.”
She said the school community was rallying, and couldn’t wait to see Colin back on his feet.
City of Canning councillor and traffic crossing advocate Shen Sekhon was also at the school in the afternoon. She said she was “appalled”.

“Traffic wardens play such an important role in our community, particularly in keeping our kids safe. I’ve got three children myself, and I know the difficulty in trying to recruit and retain traffic wardens,” she said.
Cr Sekhon said council was among those grappling with a shortage of about 80 traffic wardens discovered last year across WA.
“A lot of our traffic wardens’ average age is about 70. It’s very important for them to know that it’s going to be safe for them to be able to keep our kids safe on the streets,” she said.
“What has happened to Colin is really sad, because that poses a risk in terms of if they do step up and become a traffic warden, that could potentially happen to them.
“I’m really hoping the community steps up with any information they have or anything they may have seen, to be able to contact police directly.”
Cannington detectives described the attacker as between 17 and 19-years-old. He was about 183cm tall, with a dark complexion, a black mullet and earrings.
Anyone with information or footage of the assault should contact Crime Stoppers online or call 1800 333 000.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails
