$5.8m causeway work starts
A project to revamp Bunbury’s Jetty Road causeway is continuing after the multi-million-dollar work got under way last week.
The second phase of the $12.3 million redevelopment of the causeway, as part of the Transforming Bunbury’s Waterfront project, started on Friday.
The latest work, worth $5.8 million, will be completed by Densford Civil and includes reconstruction of the dilapidated causeway.
It will also see an extra 164 parking bays, new shared paths and landscaping, a multi purpose building with toilets and improvements to utility services in the area.
Department of Transport project delivery director Cameron Smith said the impact of the project on the surrounding community and harbour users would be limited.
Restrictions and guaranteed access to boat pens on the causeway will both be in place.
“Vehicle movements to and from the site will be restricted to operating between 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, and will finish at 5pm on Saturday,” Mr Smith said.
“DoT’s on-site supervisor will work closely with the contractor to minimise noise and dust and vehicle speed has been capped at 40km/h for increased community safety.
“While there’s no access to the causeway beyond the jetties for the duration of the project, pen holders will have dedicated parking close to the jetties and will be updated on the progress of works.”
Mayor Gary Brennan said the latest work was just another piece of the puzzle in one of the city’s biggest projects.
“It’s a great partnership between the State (Government) and the city (council) and we value that partnership and also the fact that the State continues to invest in the Transforming Bunbury’s Waterfront project,” Mr Brennan said.
“I think the end result will look brilliant, the whole project is looking fabulous and then the next stage is to move into Casuarina Bay and the planning for that is really well advanced as well.”
It is understood four subcontractors from the Bunbury Geographe region will be used in the latest stage of the project.
“I’m delighted that Bunbury-based businesses have been involved in that project,” Mr Brennan said.
As part of the $3.5 million stage one of the project, 31,000 tonnes of rock were placed along the 600m causeway earlier this year.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails